Call For Participants: 2024 Training course in Data Analysis for Genomic Surveillance of African Malaria Vectors
2024 Course Announcement
We are pleased to announce an online training course to be held in 2024, delivered by Pan-African Mosquito Control Association in collaboration with the Malaria Genomic Epidemiology Network (MalariaGEN)
The goal of this course is to introduce some practical techniques for the analysis of genomic data for surveillance of Anopheles mosquitoes. At the end of the course, trainees will be able to:
- Perform a range of analyses on Anopheles genomic data that are relevant to malaria vector surveillance.
- Describe key biological concepts underpinning the analyses.
- Describe key computing technologies used for the analyses.
- Interpret analysis results and discuss implications for malaria vector control policy.
The training course comprises 8 workshops, covering the following topics:
- Workshop 1 - Pyrethroid target-site resistance - 13 March 2024
- Workshop 2 - Metabolic insecticide resistance and copy number variation – 20 March 2024
- Workshop 3 - Population structure – 3 April 2024
- Workshop 4 - Cryptic species – 10 April 2024
- Workshop 5 - Genetic diversity – 24 April 2024
- Workshop 6 - Detecting genes under recent positive selection – 8 May 2024
- Workshop 7 - Gene flow and the spread of insecticide resistance – 22 May 2024
- Workshop 8 - Analysis planning and reporting – 29 May 2024
Trainee profile and requirements
This course is aimed at scientists and public health professionals working in the field of malaria vector surveillance and control and meeting the following requirements.
- This is a hands-on training course. Trainees will require some prior experience of data analysis using scientific programming such as Python, R, Julia or Stata. The course will be conducted using the Python programming language.
- Data analysis will be performed using cloud computing services which can be accessed via a Web browser. Trainees will require access to a personal computer with a Web browser and stable internet connection.
- The training workshops will be designed to complement each other, building up a series of analytical skills and progressively introducing biological concepts and computing tools throughout the course. Trainees should ideally be able to complete the full course of 8 workshops.
Each training workshop will last approximately 6 hours and will be delivered online via Zoom and Slack. The training will combine lectures and hands-on data analysis practical sessions in roughly equal proportion. Practical sessions will use cloud computing services and analyse real genome variation data on Anopheles gambiae mosquitoes. Practical sessions will be conducted in small groups with teaching assistants to provide support and answer questions.
For any further information and questions, please contact Paballo Chauke at firstname.lastname@example.org
The course will run for 11 weeks with 8 whole day workshops throughout the period on Wednesdays. The course runs from the 13th of March 2024 till the 29th of May 2024. There will be a week break interval after every two consecutive workshops.
Application deadline: 12 January 2024